Skip to main content

Mid-Year Book Freakout 2024

 

Mid-year has come and gone and it is again time for looking back at this year's reading and draw a balance. There's a bitter-sweet feeling though, there haven't been too many good books that impressed me greatly, though I have to admit, because I have been struggling a little bit privately, I have read a lot of non-fiction and self-help books which don't really flow into this balance. And in the end, they didn't really help a great deal, so they were kind of wasted reading time.

So, my friends, here's this year's mid-year freakout, in the hope that the really good stuff is yet to come!


1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2024?
Through the Night Like a Snake: Latin American Horror Stories or Myrrh.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2024?
The only sequel I've read so far is The Angel of Indian Lake, the last installment of The Indian Lake Trilogy, by Stephen Graham Jones.


3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to?
Craft: Stories I Wrote for the Devil by Ananda Lima.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year?
House of Bone and Rain by Gabino Iglesias.

5. Biggest disappointment?
Flesh Communion and Other Stories. Based on the cover I was expecting something else and although I started, I ended up not finishing it.

6. Biggest surprise?
I wasn't expecting a second book this year by Stephen Graham Jones, so I was nicely surprised by the publication of I Was a Teenage Slasher.

7. Favorite new author (debut or new to you)?
Mine Söğüt.

8. Newest fictional crush?
I liked Arthur Less but he's gay.

9. Newest favorite character?
Eszter Encsy in Magda Szabó's The Fawn.

10. Book that made you cry?
The Angel of Indian Lake was very emotional in the end and made me cry 🥲.

11. Book that made you happy?
The Creeper because at some point it ended.

12. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)?
 

 

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
Too many. I have lots of review copies I need to finish; Blood from the Air, Welcome to Your Body: Lessons in Evisceration, Woodworm, The Night Doctor and Other Tales. These are just few.

14. Worst book you've read so far?
Hands down, The Creeper.


15. Have you joined any Shine & Shadow reads this year? Which one has been your favorite?
I did. I liked Make Room! Make Room! and Heart-Shaped Box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...the Soul of Wit - Short Reviews

Hey all! It's been quite a while since I actually reviewed books here, but I have finally read enough to make some short reviews out of them. In fact, I have been reading a lot but I have been reading all over, especially in different genres, genres that don't really fit in here, but now I have enough freaky books. Make use of the nice weather to read outside and I hope you enjoy my reviews!

Films, Films, and More Films

Ah yes, time to make movie plans again while gods laugh at me. Especially this year I have felt their filmic wrath upon me, more than ever. While it was the flu that knocked me off my socks in February, it is currently the concussion I have had since the beginning of July because of a shelf full of books falling on my head that I have had some problems ever since, like bad concentration, tiredness and not really being able to watch cinema due to eye problems. It is getting gradually better, and the chances are more than good I'll fully recover but it has intervened with my reading and movies. For other people this may be a minor inconvenience but books and movies are basically what I live for, so I also feel depressed ever since, since I also missed most of my planned visits to open air cinemas. I still have some time for that, if the weather plays along. Last week I caught the last GDR movie that was shown at the Freiluftbühne Weißensee, Jadup und Boel (1988), and it was unproble

Introspective Horror, Par Excellence. Reviewing Michael Wehunt's "The Inconsolables"

It is a rare talent for an author to be able to perfectly balance the weird elements in their writing with the mundane; to scatter into what is deceivingly like our lives that which decisively is unlike it, and to do so just to the right degree. This is a delicate craft, and it's one Michael Wehunt masters in his latest short story collection The Inconsolables . The title already implies it: All Wehunt's characters are in a state of uneasiness, they are looking for comfort and for solace, whether by reviving childhood interests after a separation, by adopting a stray dog after the death of a child, in hypochondriasis, or whether it's about a married couple who simultaneously reaches the midlife crisis, or a woman, lead by a crooked and scary cupid, confronting in a room all the men who have sexually assaulted her throughout her life, or the last man on Earth who will die, because he was born thirty-seven days before the dealine for immortality in a new world where it h