Skip to main content

Madness Shared - Reviewing Poly Hall's "Myrrh"

Is insanity something that can be shared? Does bad karma exist and won’t it leave involved persons alone until it is cleared, spoken of? And is the baby-crazy childless woman trope still a thing?

These are but some questions of many which occupy my mind having finished Poly Hall’s extremely enthralling latest novel Myrrh.

In astonishingly short chapters, each one often a page or two long, we follow the stories of Myrrh, who has been adopted as a baby and is looking for her birth mother as a young woman, and of Cayenne, who married a man who has a teenage daughter, just to find out her life is anything but what she wished for. A very ordinary story, maybe happening every day, and yet a uniquely extraordinary tale at the same time.

The interest and attention of the reader constantly spurred thanks to the brevity of the chapters, they assemble the story gradually, little by little, drop by drop – a very effective style through which time seems to fly by while reading.

Myrrh’s storyline consists of an understandable turmoil of having been adopted, rejected and given up at the very beginning of her life, but also of looking "different" due to her Egyptian heritage, of searching for her roots, and the constant murmuring of a certain “Goblin” in her head telling her she’s not wanted, not worthy, not treasured.

Meanwhile Cayenne’s storyline makes use of a less pleasant, rather trite stereotype, especially worn-out in horror fiction thanks to a surge of thriller movies such as Fatal Attraction or The Hand that Rocks the Cradle; the narrative of “dangerous” women who would like to have children, but have none. I have to say this character had all my sympathy at the beginning of the book – the role of the stepmother is a very thankless one, especially if father and child are not ready to make space for her and gaslight her into thinking she is the problem. Every single Q&A website nowadays explodes with people asking for advice on this, and the situation looks pretty desperate, to be honest. I think Hall does a great job outlining this problematic situation, but Cayenne following a mean-spirited narrative, her descending into a sort of madness, a mental illness, like ever so often in these types of stories, put me off a little bit. Still, it must be said that despite all their weak spots, both characters are profoundly interesting to follow.

Hall can definitely rock a psychological horror. The intensity of the story and the psychological dynamics between her characters are as solid here as they were in her debut, The Taxidermist’s Lover, from a couple of years ago. Back then I felt suffocating, I felt claustrophobic reading Hall’s very flawed, very sick characters, each plot a ticking bomb waiting to go off. And off they go since Hall can also rock a monumental ending. I like to read her in a car crash kind of way: I don’t like anything that’s going on but I can’t look away either. A powerful literary skill, for sure. Chapeau!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...the Soul of Wit - Short Reviews

Hey all! It's been quite a while since I actually reviewed books here, but I have finally read enough to make some short reviews out of them. In fact, I have been reading a lot but I have been reading all over, especially in different genres, genres that don't really fit in here, but now I have enough freaky books. Make use of the nice weather to read outside and I hope you enjoy my reviews!

Films, Films, and More Films

Ah yes, time to make movie plans again while gods laugh at me. Especially this year I have felt their filmic wrath upon me, more than ever. While it was the flu that knocked me off my socks in February, it is currently the concussion I have had since the beginning of July because of a shelf full of books falling on my head that I have had some problems ever since, like bad concentration, tiredness and not really being able to watch cinema due to eye problems. It is getting gradually better, and the chances are more than good I'll fully recover but it has intervened with my reading and movies. For other people this may be a minor inconvenience but books and movies are basically what I live for, so I also feel depressed ever since, since I also missed most of my planned visits to open air cinemas. I still have some time for that, if the weather plays along. Last week I caught the last GDR movie that was shown at the Freiluftbühne Weißensee, Jadup und Boel (1988), and it was unproble

Introspective Horror, Par Excellence. Reviewing Michael Wehunt's "The Inconsolables"

It is a rare talent for an author to be able to perfectly balance the weird elements in their writing with the mundane; to scatter into what is deceivingly like our lives that which decisively is unlike it, and to do so just to the right degree. This is a delicate craft, and it's one Michael Wehunt masters in his latest short story collection The Inconsolables . The title already implies it: All Wehunt's characters are in a state of uneasiness, they are looking for comfort and for solace, whether by reviving childhood interests after a separation, by adopting a stray dog after the death of a child, in hypochondriasis, or whether it's about a married couple who simultaneously reaches the midlife crisis, or a woman, lead by a crooked and scary cupid, confronting in a room all the men who have sexually assaulted her throughout her life, or the last man on Earth who will die, because he was born thirty-seven days before the dealine for immortality in a new world where it h