Skip to main content

More Glorious Golden October Alert!

We haven't even reached the middle mark of October yet, but turns out this month truly IS golden. Socializing with the science fiction crowd the last couple of weeks I was made aware of two more events which had escaped me, but I think are definitely worth visiting. The weekends are full this fall!

Next Saturday, October 19th, the Berlin SciFi Filmfest opens its doors at the splendid Urania in Charlottenburg. This year's program is interesting as usual and consists of mostly short film screenings divided into thematic blocs such as Dystopia, Latin Science Fiction, Psychopunk (??!! I have no idea what this is but I already love it), AI, Canadian Science Fiction, and... Weirded Out, the bloc about weird fiction, unfortunately at 8 pm, the very last showing. It figures that the one bloc I want to see most would be the last, which gets me in a scrape. I have to work the morning shift at Hammett that day, and for the late evening I already have my ticket for the "In a Violent Nature" showing at the Creepy Crypt... So if I want to see both screenings, it will be tight. According to my calculations, though, if I watch the Weird bloc and don't lose any time to go to the Ubahn, I can still make it to the Rollberg Kino (and the Creepy Crypt does show some previews, so I can gain an additional 15 minutes or so from there). It will be a marathon, but I really want to see all these movies, so I will.

The following weekend, October 25 to 27, we have, again in Charlottenburg, but this time in the comfortable Zoo Palast, the B Movie and Arthouse Festival Obscura. From Finnish to Argentine, to Mexican, to Ukrainian movies, the program looks amazing! I'm very bummed that that will be my Horror Nights Weekend and my schedule is otherwise very tight too (and I assume I will need some sleep too), so I guess I could catch some of the movies on Sunday, but unfortunately not before. Damn! Those shorties look so good and I would have loved to see the Friday films... You can't have it all, I guess. But if you have the opportunity, you guys should totally go, festivals at the Zoo Palast are always fun.

October keeps on giving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...the Soul of Wit - Short Reviews

Hey all! It's been quite a while since I actually reviewed books here, but I have finally read enough to make some short reviews out of them. In fact, I have been reading a lot but I have been reading all over, especially in different genres, genres that don't really fit in here, but now I have enough freaky books. Make use of the nice weather to read outside and I hope you enjoy my reviews!

A State of Painful Freedom: An Interview with Bram Stoker Nominee Attila Veres About His Work

Attila Veres is a filmmaker and an author from Hungary who got introduced to international horror readers as recent as last fall through the Valancourt publication The Black Maybe , an outstanding collection of ten of his short stories which has since been nominated for the esteemed Bram Stoker Awards.

WISH YOU WERE HERE!

 Greetings from Ulthar Istanbul!