Skip to main content

Weird in the Wild West - Reviewing "Hot Iron and Cold Blood"

What comes to your mind when you think of the “Wild West”?

Horses, bandits, desperados, cowboys, wise natives, prostitutes in petticoats dancing to piano songs in wooden saloons, rangers, scorching heat, guns, dust, grave diggers, Sheriffs and Reverends, public hangings, even Chinese railroad workers and wandering medicine men?

Well, Hot Iron and Cold Blood adds flesh eating birds, vampires, worshipers of Yog-Sothoth, revenge spells, headless warriors, ghost dinosaurs, spirits, crazy pimps, and speaking holes to that, and so here we have one of the most original and well-done anthologies of the past decade which absolutely succeeds in wonderfully integrating the weird, the unsettling as well as the horror and terror into this intrinsically surreal and hostile, but at the same time free and hopeful environment.

The idea of living in a time without my dentist and Nine Inch Nails is terrifying to me. Any historical story set in a time without these is principally uninteresting to me, let alone a time where guns, violence and horses or whatever the fascination with the Wild West is, set the tone. BUT there are of course exceptions and excellent writing or an ingenious plot or concept or some kind of appeal can make me read it. This anthology here does all of it – Believe me, every single story is so well chosen, well written, so well incorporated into the theme that even though I'm still no fan of the wild west, I loved this book. I really hope to find more of such wonderful anthologies.  

As usual, I do have highlights that stood out for me. Here they are;

Holes by Brennan LaFaro; an unpopular ex-sheriff who lives an isolated life discovers holes in his land which he first attributes to critters. But then, they begin to TALK...

Soiled Doves by Vivian Kasley; assuming she won't be able to work if she falls pregnant, a young saloon girl takes a powder given to her by the madame of the rival saloon. Surely this can't go well...

The Deviltry of Elemental Valence by Edward Lee; in the (almost) present time a grave digger is overjoyed by the promise of earning some money on the side and buying sex workers by opening a grave out of the record for a rich client. What comes out and the direction this story goes is unexpected to say the least.

Sedalia by David J. Schow

“More than the end of the world, Americans dislike inconvenience.”

A time in which dinosaurs make a re-appearance (alongside the honorable Godzilla) and a group of cowboys observing them, all from different backgrounds.
I'm pretty sure that Schow will be asked to write a full-sized book out of this story, which is already on the longer side. And it would deserve to be written out, it was amazing.

Rope and Limb by Jeff Strand; if you're familiar with Strand's writing, you probably can guess the kind of humor in this story. We follow a guy about to be hanged (and the reason he's being prosecuted is grotesque enough), arguing for a proper execution to which the cheap-ass frugal mayor opposes.

Dread Creek by Briana Morgan; a group of travelers are in serious trouble when they drink water from a dubious source and pay for it, like really brutally.

Old Habits by L. M. Labat; a young man who has a complicated relationship to his father, a quack doctor, receives unexpected supernatural help to finally break free.

Hungry by Jess Allen Champion; Chinese workers aren't necessarily that first thing the come to mind by the mention of the Wild West, especially for Non-Americans. But they actually built the Transcontinental Railroad, and it was an unexpected pleasure to find a story set among these workers.

The Redheaded Death by Joe R. Lansdale; redheaded vampires and a Reverend? Sign me up immediately! Seeing all the awesome short stories Lansdale writes for various horror anthologies, it has been an itch of mine to read a full book by him, maybe this story will finally give me that push.

Hot Iron and Cold Blood is a strong candidate for the best anthology of the year, people! Go read it, now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

...the Soul of Wit - Short Reviews

Hey all! It's been quite a while since I actually reviewed books here, but I have finally read enough to make some short reviews out of them. In fact, I have been reading a lot but I have been reading all over, especially in different genres, genres that don't really fit in here, but now I have enough freaky books. Make use of the nice weather to read outside and I hope you enjoy my reviews!

Films, Films, and More Films

Ah yes, time to make movie plans again while gods laugh at me. Especially this year I have felt their filmic wrath upon me, more than ever. While it was the flu that knocked me off my socks in February, it is currently the concussion I have had since the beginning of July because of a shelf full of books falling on my head that I have had some problems ever since, like bad concentration, tiredness and not really being able to watch cinema due to eye problems. It is getting gradually better, and the chances are more than good I'll fully recover but it has intervened with my reading and movies. For other people this may be a minor inconvenience but books and movies are basically what I live for, so I also feel depressed ever since, since I also missed most of my planned visits to open air cinemas. I still have some time for that, if the weather plays along. Last week I caught the last GDR movie that was shown at the Freiluftbühne Weißensee, Jadup und Boel (1988), and it was unproble

Introspective Horror, Par Excellence. Reviewing Michael Wehunt's "The Inconsolables"

It is a rare talent for an author to be able to perfectly balance the weird elements in their writing with the mundane; to scatter into what is deceivingly like our lives that which decisively is unlike it, and to do so just to the right degree. This is a delicate craft, and it's one Michael Wehunt masters in his latest short story collection The Inconsolables . The title already implies it: All Wehunt's characters are in a state of uneasiness, they are looking for comfort and for solace, whether by reviving childhood interests after a separation, by adopting a stray dog after the death of a child, in hypochondriasis, or whether it's about a married couple who simultaneously reaches the midlife crisis, or a woman, lead by a crooked and scary cupid, confronting in a room all the men who have sexually assaulted her throughout her life, or the last man on Earth who will die, because he was born thirty-seven days before the dealine for immortality in a new world where it h