Skip to main content

A Bizarre Zone and Weird Spaces - Reviewing Tom Over's "The Comfort Zone and Other Safe Spaces"

From aquatic to cosmic horror to zombie apocalypse to science fictional catastrophes, to top tier weird – Tom Over's writing definitely has a wide range and it's outright scary how effortless and at home he can write in each one of those directions.

Each story in his collection The Comfort Zone and Other Safe Spaces leads us readers through astonishingly consummate universes within only a handful of pages to a meaningful and striking punchline crowning a breathtaking climax. So much so that it's well possible to imagine making a full-sized novel out of each story, no exception at all.

I was so impressed by Over's writing that I recommended his work to the Otherland Bookstore and we were crushed to find out it's not elligible as a physical copy here in Germany (you can still buy it on godless.com). So here I go - what is a rave review without a good rant in the middle part? A rant about the publishing industry because here we have exactly the sort of originality which should be supported and promoted with prestigious awards. But instead those awards go to the same few authors who keep on writing about the same boring things and shops can't even sell the good stuff. I really hope there'll be a reissue soon!

Ahem, anyway, it was hard to pick favorites in this collection (honestly it would have been easier to cite the stories that are not favorites), but here we go nevertheless with my highlights:

Tunnels – Think in terms of bodily functions, would waste still be waste if your body didn't excrete it, but did something else? What might appear silly, turns into a philosophical meditation once you further Over's idea and stop thinking in terms of physical functions and think economic functions and production systems. I could lose myself in this shocking story, and an excellent choice for an opener.

The Vegetarians – Even more shocking, a story which questions, or rather plays with our moral limits and how far we could stretch them when in need. It has a breath-taking finale.

Physical Media – Talking about limits and borders not be crossed, what boundaries are there between our technology and us and should we start worrying about that? The couple in this story definitely should have worried about exactly that in order to avoid much painful shame... A painful shame which will make you laugh out loud nevertheless.

The Happiest Thought – I love this kind of story, really lowkey science fiction, lowkey horror, the story behind a family portrait.

Phylum – I'm not much of a fan of apocalyptic scenarios, but this one really kept me glued, and again the glorious ending destroyed all doubts I might have.

Millipede Dreams – Gorgeous psychedelia to close a gorgeous short story collection.

As you see, it really has a lot to offer and for every taste, I'm rating this super high!

Tom Over did send me a review copy, for which I am grateful, but that didn't affect my review at all. I didn't know him or his writing before so I'm positively surprised to have discovered this author! If you know and more or less agree with my taste in books, you must try this (as I mentioned above, you can purchase it on godless.com).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday! Protean Depravity is One Year Old!

 Folks, I almost missed my blog's first birthday, which was last week! Photo by Angèle Kamp  I can't believe it has been a year already - my lockdown project became a full-  blown blog with lots and lots of books, books, books, author interviews and even one piece of original fiction! I really do hope that you're enjoying the blog as much as I sure do. I am so grateful and thankful for everybody who contributed and for everybody who is reading! Happy birthday to us! Let's celebrate our geekdom and hope for many more years to come!

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.

Straightening Up the TBR and Other Exciting Things

  The world keeps on turning and once again the nicer time of the year has arrived; the warm time. At least hopefully, because in this part of the world you never know - Remember last summer? And again, I have been merrily taking and taking review copies of books, and reached the point where they have accumulated to a degree that I'm about to lose track, but haven't quite yet. I am at a point where I need to straighten up the tbr pile - make a priority list so that no important book gets left out, but also make sure my personal goals, group reads, buddy reads and challenges are fulfilled too. It's not easy being a professional book worm, let me tell you.