Skip to main content

Little Snapshots - Reviewing Agustina Bazterrica's Story Collection "Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird"

It really is a special kind of pleasure to read really short, bite-sized stories which nevertheless succeed in capturing strong moments, like Agustina Bazterrica does in Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird. A pleasure which I in fact would compare to reading poetry, as all twenty of these mini stories are written with utmost wit and make you return and re-read a passage or two which touches you particularly strongly.

That's how I ended up, many times over in the past week at the subway station to work, and instead of flowing with the crowd, I stood in a corner re-reading the story I just finished in the train with a big smile on my face. And when I came home in the evening, I couldn't wait to read them again.

Bazterrica has already proven with her achingly devastating cannibalistic dystopia Tender is the Flesh that she can write a poignant novel. Now she captivates her readers with these absolutely delightful mini stories too.

Some of these twenty stories (by the way, I can't decide which one is the black bird and which ones the claws) are incisive snapshots – first the dentures, then the body of a suicidal upstairs neighbor falling on someone's patio; an incarcerated man cooking crêpes in the last moments of his life; the attack of a wolf; three old women walking arm in arm on the street carrying a bird in a cage (I may have found the titular bird after all...) - little snapshots which nevertheless tell big stories.

Some others are more elaborate – devastation hiding behind a child's naiveté, comedy hiding behind a girly step-by-step guide to cope with a breakup, oddity disguised as Pablo who thinks his girlfriend Anita is an alien; the sadness of the adventure of a depressive woman who hoped to cure herself...

My favorite of this collection is Teicher vs. Nietzsche, in which a fanatic Boca fan hates and loathes his ex-wife's cat Nietzsche which she left at home when leaving him. On the night when Boca plays against River, cunning Nichito shows surprisingly the tricks up its sleeve.

I was a little worried that past the mid-year mark I still hadn't found a book that I could call my favorite, that changed when reading Nineteen Claws and a Black Bird and I think this is the best book I have read this year so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday! Protean Depravity is One Year Old!

 Folks, I almost missed my blog's first birthday, which was last week! Photo by Angèle Kamp  I can't believe it has been a year already - my lockdown project became a full-  blown blog with lots and lots of books, books, books, author interviews and even one piece of original fiction! I really do hope that you're enjoying the blog as much as I sure do. I am so grateful and thankful for everybody who contributed and for everybody who is reading! Happy birthday to us! Let's celebrate our geekdom and hope for many more years to come!

Final Girls on Ice - On Stephen Graham Jones' Indian Lake Trilogy

Slowly but surely, the "Indian Lake Trilogy" is on its way to become author Stephen Graham Jones' magnum opus - that's the prime takeaway from the recent, massive and very much justified success surrounding its second installment Don't Fear the Reaper (only Reaper in text for purposes of brevity). It isn't unusual for a second book in a series to achieve more success than its predecessor, the first one having already separated the wheat from the chaff among readers and having established a backstory and setting for the protagonist. Solely people who accept and enjoy the terms set in the first book will stick around for more. The first book My Heart Is A Chainsaw ( Chainsaw ) of the Indian Lake series and its follower Reaper are no exceptions. When Chainsaw came out in the summer of 2021, it truly dropped like a bomb into horror circles. Even though there had been indigenous representation in the genre, (not the least thanks to Jones himself and his riveting

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.