Skip to main content

Bloody Thrilling! - Recent Mystery and Thriller Reads

The past month I haven't read as much horror as I'm used to mainly because I was out and about watching movies at various festivals. Now if you ask, "What does watching movies have to do with that?", the answer is "A lot". I want to sit down in peace and quiet and let the dread sink in when I'm reading horror and not be quickly hopping from one cinema to the other and waiting in long queues to get a good sitting place and all the while trying to listen to some audiobook or narrowing my tired eyes in dim cinema lights to read my crumbled paperback before the next movie begins. I discovered that the best genre to go with these frenetic and restless times are thrillers and that's what I ended up reading most in February. Plus, sometimes that's just what your soul wants. Looking back, I ended up discovering lots of interesting authors and reading good books which finally ended up here. Enjoy!

The Shards by Bret Easton Ellis

It apparently wasn't in vain that Bret Easton Ellis waited ten plus years to release his latest, The Shards - he was obviously working on this racy mystery thriller of biblical proportions, with 600+ pages physically as well as figuratively because of the scope of what it does. Interesting fact: The Shards was first serialized as an audiobook read by Ellis through his podcast on Patreon and later published in print. I was lucky enough to listen to the audiobook read by Ellis.

We're following the 17 year old Bret - yes, Ellis follows that trend of writing meta-fiction in which you can't distinguish what is fiction and what is memoir, a trend I hate with a passion. Anyway, Bret is 17 in the year 1981 and lives in Los Angeles where an insanely brutal serial killer nicknamed The Trawler (due to some disgusting reasons) is targeting young people. In this phase of his life Bret thinks of nothing but sexual encounters, it's almost like he wants to fuck everybody in the world, the more the merrier. When he meets Robert Mallory, a handsome and charismatic new boy in town, he, for some unknown reason, becomes suspicious that Mallory is The Trawler or has something to do with him. He becomes obsessed with the idea but can't really prove nor disprove any of these ideas.

In a tale that becomes increasingly obscure and paranoid, stiffling suspense dominates every page interrupted only by frustratingly redundant dialogues. Ellis kept me guessing until the end, for this long a novel it was surprisingly tense. I was personally frustrated by the amount of teenage drama, but it kept me listening in a fast pace nevertheless. What I really liked where the scary bits, like the parts about the Trawler, like the cassette tape the main character was sent with a thrilling recording, that was seriously messed up. Even though I usually don't enjoy this genre I liked this, so I think I will definitely read other books by the author focusing on more horror.

Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone: A Novel by Benjamin Stevenson 

Yeah, I'm on the fence with this one...

Again, a meta-novel, self-aware, very self-aware indeed, to the degree that the narrator, Ernest Cunningham, in whose family everybody has famously killed someone, gives us an analysis of the book, debunking genre tropes, eliminating your expectations for the story you are about to read right from the start.

Ern is the least typical Cunningham in that he tries to do the right and legal thing always. Of course, that's what we're being told by him and always be ware of a narrator who assures you he is reliable. He makes a living by writing books about writing books and gives us a highly complex mystery to solve, basing his narrative on the model of the so-called Golden Age mysteries, following Ronald Knox' ten commandments on how a detective story should be built (google them, it's interesting!). That style was quite fresh and unusual to be honest. 

The problem was that I could not always follow the logic of things happening. Ern gives us the solution of many story lines as it's so natural and obvious but it's really a little more obscure than he makes them out to be. Also, I can put up with the breaking of the fourth wall for the duration of a theatre play or a movie, but if I'm to spend a longer time than a couple of hours with it, it tires me.

Nevertheless, I had fun reading this book and it has provided for a good time.
 

All the Dangerous Things by Stacy Willingham

Isabelle Drake's life changed when her toddler son was snatched out of his crib in the middle of the night while everybody was sleeping. To make up for that sleepiness she just can't rest anymore and spends her nights knee deep in insomnia and only takes a nap here and there. While she tries to keep her son's case alive with interviews and pleas to the kidnapper, her sleepless nights start taking a toll on her in that paranoia, truth, illusions, all turn into one messed up adventure where not even she knows what's wrong or what's right.

A wild turn!
Throughout the whole book I followed the biggest of red herrings, just like the main character herself, and was blown away by the solution of this tale. A really enthralling mystery you can grab if you like satisfying endings.

Two Parts Sugar, One Part Murder by Valerie Burns 

In this “culinary cozy”, a term I just recently found out exists, but is a genre on its best way of becoming my favorite guilty pleasure, we follow city girl and influencer Maddy Montgomery, dumped on her wedding day and being given a second chance to refocus her life after the death of her great aunt Octavia, who left her a house in a small town, a bakery to run and her drooling English Mastiff, Baby. While trying to adjust, she finds out that Octavia had an awful lot of friends as well as enemies during her lifetime and something is fishy between the lines. That is, beside the mayor being stabbed with a knife with Maddy's fingerprints, dun dun dun...

Baby was the best thing in this book and although a nice pastime, this isn't exactly my favorite cozy mystery. Maddy is super superficial (I'm aware there's going to be a character arc) and the ending doesn't really satisfy. I may or may not read the next installment, don't know.

Billy Summers by Stephen King

"Billy Summers is a man in a room with a gun", says the blurb of this story of a hired killer who only ever kills truly "bad guys" but takes one last job before retiring. When he finds out that his client actually intends to get rid of him, he changes the plan and meets an unexpected ally on his way.

I don't know what to say. You know how sometimes the whole world goes crazy about something and you just can't wrap your head around what it is they find so good? That's me right now. There's barely a bad review about this book, which features one of the most bland main characters who makes choices that are a mystery to me and to whom I just couldn't warm up to. The story line is far-fetched, Billy unrelatable, nothing redeeming for me in this book. And I'm someone who normally loves the way King develops his characters but I guess even he doesn't hit the mark sometimes. I have to add that I only picked up this book from the public library because my friend Miri asked if I read it and there was a plot hole she found. Well, if she meant the whole plot being a big huge hole, then I agree. I haven't seen her after that but next time we catch up we'll be discussing this book.

Age of Vice by Deepti Kapoor

Age of Vice is the same story revolving around the powerful Indian Wadia family, told in three parts focusing on three different points of view - Ajay, the servant who worked his way up from bitter poverty to right arm of the family's playboy son, Sunny; Neda, a journalist torn between the truth and her feelings for Sunny and finally Sunny, who I hate deeply.

This was GREAT! Especially the final ten percent were Game of Thrones level captivating, once you accept this is not a mystery or thriller as it is marketed, but a family saga and switch your brain to soap opera mode (I mean this in the best possible way, I love telenovelas from all over the world); treason, murder, multiple murders, prison life, tragedies, a big big love, mafia family, evil father, corruption, lavish mansions, riches, revenge... I really do hope there will be more installments.

The Bangalore Detectives Club by Harini Nagendra 

We're in the 1920's in Bangalore, India and Kaveri is a young bride too smart and headstrong for her time who recently married the handsome young doctor Ramu. When the young couple joins a party at the Century Club which turns into a murder scene and a vulnerable woman is accused, Kaveri decides to take the solving of the mystery in her own hands in a cast-plagued country and time.

A cozy mystery for fans of historical India. 

Kaveri has such a strong sense of justice and equality that it makes her instantly lovable to the reader. I enjoyed the book exploring women and women’s rights in the 20’s in addition to the mystery, which, unfortunately, was a little weak. Even I was able to predict the killer and that’s not good as I’m easy to fool. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it fine, reading books set in India is always a pleasure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday! Protean Depravity is One Year Old!

 Folks, I almost missed my blog's first birthday, which was last week! Photo by Angèle Kamp  I can't believe it has been a year already - my lockdown project became a full-  blown blog with lots and lots of books, books, books, author interviews and even one piece of original fiction! I really do hope that you're enjoying the blog as much as I sure do. I am so grateful and thankful for everybody who contributed and for everybody who is reading! Happy birthday to us! Let's celebrate our geekdom and hope for many more years to come!

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.

Straightening Up the TBR and Other Exciting Things

  The world keeps on turning and once again the nicer time of the year has arrived; the warm time. At least hopefully, because in this part of the world you never know - Remember last summer? And again, I have been merrily taking and taking review copies of books, and reached the point where they have accumulated to a degree that I'm about to lose track, but haven't quite yet. I am at a point where I need to straighten up the tbr pile - make a priority list so that no important book gets left out, but also make sure my personal goals, group reads, buddy reads and challenges are fulfilled too. It's not easy being a professional book worm, let me tell you.