Skip to main content

A Month of Monsters - Reviewing "Screams from the Dark"

Screams from the Dark: 29 Tales of Monsters and the Monstrous ed. by Ellen Datlow

Reviewing any one of Ellen Datlow’s excellent horror anthologies is always a pleasure as they unanimously feature stories of high-quality writing and are a kind of go-to place for us horror readers who want to discover fresh blood. So I was lusting for her latest themed anthology, the massive Screams from the Dark: 29 Tales of Monsters and the Monstrous anthology ever since the announcement of its publication in the summer and gifted it to myself as a birthday treat in the fall, intending to read a story a day in October, which I did.

Regrettably, by the high standard the name Datlow entails, this one shines a little paler than usual - many of the stories dragged despite their shortness and felt somewhat overwritten at times.

Still, each contributing author interpreted the theme “monster” in their own original way and of course I found some highlights that sweetened this read for me that I'll shortly present here, here we go:

“You Have What I Need” by Ian Rogers
Consider you only have limited space and have to provide sufficient background for a short story to be believable, consistent and plausible. A hard task, yes, but one that Ian Rogers totally aces in the vampire story “You Have What I Need” - baller world building, societal distress in the shape of a vampiric virus, how quick the tables can turn… Rogers packs a punch with this one.

“The Virgin Jimmy Peck” by Daryl Gregory
“They Rosemary-babied you!”
I’m aware this is probably spoiler territory but this sentence is too good to not share here and the expression should be added into dictionaries. Though, of course I hope nobody ever needs to use it except in fiction. The story follows a Lovecraftian cult preparing for the coming of their lord and Jimmy Peck, the chosen mother. One of the most likable main characters I have ever read about. Funny, horrible, horrific story.

“Here Comes Your Man” by Indrapramit Das
I love Das’ writing ever since I discovered The Devourers, a truly monumental historical fiction about werewolves and the likes in India. In “Here Comes Your Man” the threat is nothing imaginary but something much more imminent, acute, real. A wonderful reflection on female anxiety.

“What is Love But the Quiet Moments After Dinner” by Richard Kadrey
Surprisingly I haven’t read anything by Richard Kadrey to this day but I’m completely sold after reading this story about a man with a bloody secret and his relationship with a woman whose perverse impulses are the antidote to his loneliness. Genuinely twisty and action-packed.

“Strandling” by Caitlín R. Kiernan
For me, this is the absolute winner of this anthology. It’s no secret Kiernan can rock the Lovecraftian but she mightily ups her game with this one. Is there a connection between marine parasites and these lovers we follow, one of whom is terminally ill? What are these creatures? Fantastic final scene, sublime writing, a touching relationship, plain wonderful, but also devastating.

“Knock, Knock” by Brian Evenson
If Kiernan is the winner, then Evenson is surely the closest runner up because this story is just laugh out loud dreadful. We’re following a nephew trying to kill his uncle in an inheritance dispute and it gets really all tangled up. There’s something sticky in Evenson’s monsters, something foul, rotting, the kind that sticks with you long after you finished reading.

There’s also an honorable mention of a story I hated reading but feel the need to give the devil his due: A.C. Wise’s “Crick-Crack Rattle Trap” was done immaculately – the writing, the horror, the development are all top tier but it’s highly triggering motherhood horror and it really dragged me down. So I’ll take my hat off for Wise, but this isn’t mine to enjoy.
 

As you see, despite my griping and nagging, there still are quite a few stories that hit and surpassed the mark for me, and considering there are whopping 29 stories in total there will surely be some that appeal to everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday! Protean Depravity is One Year Old!

 Folks, I almost missed my blog's first birthday, which was last week! Photo by Angèle Kamp  I can't believe it has been a year already - my lockdown project became a full-  blown blog with lots and lots of books, books, books, author interviews and even one piece of original fiction! I really do hope that you're enjoying the blog as much as I sure do. I am so grateful and thankful for everybody who contributed and for everybody who is reading! Happy birthday to us! Let's celebrate our geekdom and hope for many more years to come!

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.

Straightening Up the TBR and Other Exciting Things

  The world keeps on turning and once again the nicer time of the year has arrived; the warm time. At least hopefully, because in this part of the world you never know - Remember last summer? And again, I have been merrily taking and taking review copies of books, and reached the point where they have accumulated to a degree that I'm about to lose track, but haven't quite yet. I am at a point where I need to straighten up the tbr pile - make a priority list so that no important book gets left out, but also make sure my personal goals, group reads, buddy reads and challenges are fulfilled too. It's not easy being a professional book worm, let me tell you.