Skip to main content

Discovering Hidden Gems - "Zombie Sharks With Metal Teeth" by Stephen Graham Jones

So I have been feverishly reading aquatic horror themed books for my summer challenge and as a side-effect I am discovering hidden gems every now and then. Even though it isn't necessarily aquatic horror, one of these gems definitely is Zombie Sharks With Metal Teeth, a short story collection by Stephen Graham Jones from times back when the Lazy Fascist Press was still alive.

I love short stories and I love SGJ books, so this has to be ideal for me, right? Right! As in all his writing, Jones really puts thought into every single one of his stories here too, no matter how short they are, which makes this seriously quality reading. I think I will keep on returning to these stories often.

My highlights:

“How Billy Hanson Destroyed the Planet Earth, and Everyone On It” 

In a bid to argue in favor of Billy Hanson's innocence of having annihilated Earth I found some absurd sentences here, such as the epic opening line “He wouldn't say this later, because he'd be dead along with everyone else, blasted into a cloud of comparatively warm ash swirling around in what had been Earth's orbital plane, but it wasn't his fault. Really.”, which reminded me of the pleading in The Night of the Mannequins, and I love that novella!

The story here takes an unexpected turn into serious speculative terrain – and I love that just as much.

The Sea of Intranquility” 

Another speculative, absurdist piece of writing: What starts as a detective looking for his client's missing husband ends up opening for us readers the doors to a completely insane universe which involves space lobsters. Awesome.

“The Case Against Humanity” 

The title say it all. Somehow manages to be sad, kind of funny, infuriating all at once in, like, a one page story.

“Zombie Sharks with Metal Teeth” 

One of the many stories revolving around people conducting laboratory work and had me guessing the connection to the infamous title until the very last line.

“Rocket Man” 

Baseball with zombies... Zombies who destroy your love life...

“Because My Therapist Asked Me To Tell A Story Using Hamsters” 

Is it OK that I love this story despite its title and despite the fact that it deals with domestic violence in hamster families? I say it is.

“The Calorie Doctor” 

Nice and short one, great final story!

In the very end of the book, there are notes for each story too; how they were written, how the idea came to be, sometimes how fast they were written. Reading that really gives you a little more insight and sometimes helps better understand the writing.

If you know and love the SGJ-style I say, turn back time - his newer stuff is awesome but it's such a great pleasure discovering older treasures such as this one too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday! Protean Depravity is One Year Old!

 Folks, I almost missed my blog's first birthday, which was last week! Photo by Angèle Kamp  I can't believe it has been a year already - my lockdown project became a full-  blown blog with lots and lots of books, books, books, author interviews and even one piece of original fiction! I really do hope that you're enjoying the blog as much as I sure do. I am so grateful and thankful for everybody who contributed and for everybody who is reading! Happy birthday to us! Let's celebrate our geekdom and hope for many more years to come!

Final Girls on Ice - On Stephen Graham Jones' Indian Lake Trilogy

Slowly but surely, the "Indian Lake Trilogy" is on its way to become author Stephen Graham Jones' magnum opus - that's the prime takeaway from the recent, massive and very much justified success surrounding its second installment Don't Fear the Reaper (only Reaper in text for purposes of brevity). It isn't unusual for a second book in a series to achieve more success than its predecessor, the first one having already separated the wheat from the chaff among readers and having established a backstory and setting for the protagonist. Solely people who accept and enjoy the terms set in the first book will stick around for more. The first book My Heart Is A Chainsaw ( Chainsaw ) of the Indian Lake series and its follower Reaper are no exceptions. When Chainsaw came out in the summer of 2021, it truly dropped like a bomb into horror circles. Even though there had been indigenous representation in the genre, (not the least thanks to Jones himself and his riveting

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.