Skip to main content

... the Soul of Wit - Latest Short Reviews Pt.1

I think I have outdone myself in May and read way too many books even for my standards and too many books for all of them to fit into one "Soul of Wit". That's why I think it's best to break my recent reads into two categories this month: horror and dark versus light and fun reads, and this first part is about horror books.

Since my TBR pile still mainly consists of books I bought in the past and just set aside, there aren't any buzzing new releases here... Which is fine by me as long as they're good and they mostly are, so please enjoy! 

The Rats by James Herbert

Publisher's blurb for The Rats: "For millions of years man and rats had been natural enemies. But now for the first time - suddenly, shockingly, horribly - the balance of power had shifted and the rats began to prey on the human population."

In this rodentous debut from 1974, Herbert presents his readers at regular intervals new characters, with back story and all, just to have them killed painfully by raging giant rats! Until a random, unexciting guy finds a solution to the rat problem... For how long, though?

“As they scattered, a larger rat stopped its gorging and turned a menacing eye towards her.”

“Another stopped before him, eyed him coolly for a fraction of a second, and then sped on its way.”

Not only do these rats eat or infect humans with a disease that will kill them within 24 hours, no! They also occasionally stop what they're doing and casually but menacingly glare at people and give them the evil eye, which makes the beasts sinister too for whatever reason. Great book for lovers of creature features!

Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky

Running from her abusive partner with her seven-year-old son Christopher, Kate Reese settles in Mill Grove, Pennsylvania and starts a new life. Being the new kid and having learning difficulties, Christopher has major problems with the situation, though - a situation that changes when he vanishes for six days and comes back changed and the voices in his head tell him he now has the mission of building a tree house...

I had already read and reviewed Imaginary Friend a couple of years ago for the Otherland newsletter, back then in German and as a physical book. What I remember was that this was such a toe crusher that my arm literally hurt while reading (not to mention that German translations generally contain about a quarter more pages than the original book) but that the story was actually quite good! That impression didn't change on my second read - although I'm still not mad about good vs. evil stories with a religious touch that might pass as children's stories, this one really got me somehow. I think mainly because the characters are so fleshed out, my god, I so rooted for all of the main characters it kind of hurts thinking about it. If you need a nice, long horror epic, reminiscent of King this is it!

Goblin by Josh Malerman

With its giant landmark topiaries, its creepy and creature-like police force, flesh eating giant owls, its history and the unusual way they bury their dead, Goblin is surely one of the most peculiar literary horror small towns. In six interconnected short stories writer Josh Malerman gives you an introduction and full-tour including creepy ending!

I personally wished the stories were a little harder, there was certainly potential for more horror in here but Malerman never quite goes there. Nevertheless I enjoyed them, especially the second story “Kamp” in which the titular historian Walter Kamp succumbs to a fear-induced insomnia fit and has an encounter with his neighbor who wants to save him from his own fears. This story would make a great theater play on its own and I love writing like that. The other stories were also consistently okay, though never really great.

The Outsider by Stephen King

The violated body of a child is found in a park and there's enough eyewitnesses and fingerprints to determine Terry Maitland, one of Flint City’s most popular citizens, as the perpetrator. Only he isn't. But he is. As the investigation deepens, facts point that he either must have been at two places at once or be wearing another face. The truth is quite shocking!

The Outsider really was one race to the finish, wow! I have a friend who told me that while reading it, she would be so scared at night that she would take the book out of her bedroom before going to sleep, and I understand why. There were scenes genuinely creepy and scary here and I think it might just be one of King's bests.
I only got a little confused to see that there is a prequel and I probably spoiled that read for myself, but so be it. It was a ravishing read and now I think I want to read more of the series.

The Deep by Rivers Solomon

Yetu is one of the mer-people who are descendants of the enslaved pregnant African women thrown overboard by slave owners. Because their past is too painful to be remembered, it is simply forgotten but for one person; the historian Yetu who remembers instead of everyone.

These memories are gradually destroying her and she runs to the surface in order to discover the world outside the deep. What she encounters there will help her find out that things need to change and memories and identity need to be reclaimed.

The significance of The Deep is so evident that I feel like there isn't much I can say about it. The beautiful prose, the originality and imagination... This should really be required reading in schools everywhere.

 Reprieve by James Han Mattson

Quigley House! A full-contact haunted escape room... Four contestants fighting their way out chamber by bloody chamber... And one brutal murder...

What sounds like a mindless, violent read is in fact a book that holds great weight! Written alternately in court transcripts, chamber scenes and each character's back story, it explores in a backwards mosaic structure huge issues such as racism in USA, fractured identity, homophobia, social injustice and the fragility of the system in all their complexities and facets.

Honestly, I had some problems getting into the story initially, but once I got in it was a breathless read and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough until the touching end. I loved reading this and would recommend it to everyone who's looking for a good adult thriller heavy on the social commentary.
I actually enjoyed this so much that I'm planning my re-read already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Girls on Ice - On Stephen Graham Jones' Indian Lake Trilogy

Slowly but surely, the "Indian Lake Trilogy" is on its way to become author Stephen Graham Jones' magnum opus - that's the prime takeaway from the recent, massive and very much justified success surrounding its second installment Don't Fear the Reaper (only Reaper in text for purposes of brevity). It isn't unusual for a second book in a series to achieve more success than its predecessor, the first one having already separated the wheat from the chaff among readers and having established a backstory and setting for the protagonist. Solely people who accept and enjoy the terms set in the first book will stick around for more. The first book My Heart Is A Chainsaw ( Chainsaw ) of the Indian Lake series and its follower Reaper are no exceptions. When Chainsaw came out in the summer of 2021, it truly dropped like a bomb into horror circles. Even though there had been indigenous representation in the genre, (not the least thanks to Jones himself and his riveting

Happy Birthday! Protean Depravity is One Year Old!

 Folks, I almost missed my blog's first birthday, which was last week! Photo by Angèle Kamp  I can't believe it has been a year already - my lockdown project became a full-  blown blog with lots and lots of books, books, books, author interviews and even one piece of original fiction! I really do hope that you're enjoying the blog as much as I sure do. I am so grateful and thankful for everybody who contributed and for everybody who is reading! Happy birthday to us! Let's celebrate our geekdom and hope for many more years to come!

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.