Skip to main content

More of These Attacks, Please!

Attention readers: The world of speculative fiction is under attack... the attack of author Stephen Graham Jones and he is way taller than 50 foot, he's gigantic!
"The Attack of the 50 foot Indian" was a wonderful surprise in this horrible year 2020, since I was only expecting The Only Good Indians to be released by Jones. I haven't read the latter yet by the way, but only due to the sheer overwhelming mass of seriously good horror literature being published right now. BUT I very soon will catch up since the 50 Foot Indian has left me wanting to read more Jones and made me rearrange my TBR-pile.
This little book follows the Hollywood tradition of very large people or things attacking the world, but is highlighted by Jones' very own, very necessary sociopolitical twist.

An Indian giant is discovered sleeping between the Bering Sea and Siberia. They name him "Two Moon" because two moons have been sighted the night he was found; one yellow, one brown. As confusion takes hold among the world population, so does aggression against Two Moon, leading him to do "what any giant would do: he turned around, ran away". But aggression is not all Two Moon encounters - he also experiences support from people all around the world who paint their faces yellow and black in solidarity. Especially for the reader it is hard not to root for Two Moon. I found myself on the edge of my seat for the short time it takes to read this story, hoping he will make it alive.
Dispersed among the partly comedic and partly adventurous moments, there are some astoundingly unsubtle but deeply moving passages that you will want to return to and read again and again. Take these for example:

"He was moving mostly at night, and drinking from rivers and streams, the giardia protozoa too small to be of consequence to his massive immune system, and evidently what he was subsisting on was rage and recrimination.
When interviewed on whether that was a sustainable traditional diet, a Shoshone elder looked into the camera and shrugged, said it had kept him going for eighty-eight years so far, hadn’t it?"
or
"'I quit,' the aide said, and walked away, his fingers dragging yellow paint across half his face, the other half of his face already black."

"The Attack of the 50 foot Indian" is a wonderful little parable which, in my humble opinion, should be read and taught in every school. One last warning, though - what starts in giggles and laughter at the absurdity and wryness, may move you so deeply to end in tears. It did for me.

I have been reading and waiting for new releases by Stephen Graham Jones for about two years now and my enjoyment increases gradually. Not being American myself, I sometimes have the feeling of missing something in his books that plays a key role in his understanding of horror and that I should know more about to fully understand. Take, for instance, the importance of the traditional dancing garments in Mapping the Interior, which I didn't know anything about but had the feeling contributed massively to the eeriness of the atmosphere.
But these are the things, the moments we read for, right? These are the things that invite me to look them up, learn more, broaden my horizons. An aspect that generally falls seriously short in escapist horror literature.
I immensely enjoy Jones' slow pace, his voice and would not want to miss any of them in the realm of speculative fiction. So I will surely read more and review more of his books and stories. (If you want just a taste of his writing I very much recommend “The Tree of Self-Knowledge”, a short story that was published in Ellen Datlow's Echoes: A Saga Anthology of Ghost Stories.)
So Stephen Graham Jones: Attack us with more stories and novellas and books! The world wants and needs it!

Comments

  1. I agree about the slow pace being a positive. It's ponderous, and readers can sense that it's building to something horrific. I had to re-read a chapter of The Only Good Indians after it utterly shocked me.
    I'll have to check out his 50-ft Indian book. That is such high praise.

    (I saw your friend request on Goodreads. Accepted!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, it's good to see you here too :)
      If you like slow pace, have you tried John Langan too? He's the king of slow pace!
      I am anxiously waiting for Jones' newest book "My Heart is a Chainsaw", comes out in August.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Girls on Ice - On Stephen Graham Jones' Indian Lake Trilogy

Slowly but surely, the "Indian Lake Trilogy" is on its way to become author Stephen Graham Jones' magnum opus - that's the prime takeaway from the recent, massive and very much justified success surrounding its second installment Don't Fear the Reaper (only Reaper in text for purposes of brevity). It isn't unusual for a second book in a series to achieve more success than its predecessor, the first one having already separated the wheat from the chaff among readers and having established a backstory and setting for the protagonist. Solely people who accept and enjoy the terms set in the first book will stick around for more. The first book My Heart Is A Chainsaw ( Chainsaw ) of the Indian Lake series and its follower Reaper are no exceptions. When Chainsaw came out in the summer of 2021, it truly dropped like a bomb into horror circles. Even though there had been indigenous representation in the genre, (not the least thanks to Jones himself and his riveting

An Interview with Juan Martinez, Author of "Extended Stay"

Juan Martinez is an English professor at Northwestern University and the author of the short story collection Best Worst American as well as the Weird fiction work Extended Stay , his debut novel, which tackles themes such as undocumented Latinx experiences in the USA and living and working conditions under capitalism. Extended Stay was published in January 2023 by University of Arizona Press. I'm very grateful to have a chance to chat with him about his work.

Hej Hej

©aliyavuzata Hello, good day and welcome to my new blog! A few words about myself: İnci Asena German here, and if you found your way to this blog, we most probably met at the Otherland Bookshop, Berlin, where I worked as a bookseller before COVID.And if we haven't met there, it was probably in some book-related context. I was born and raised in İzmir, Turkey and did my high school senior year as an exchange student in the USA, in North Andover, Massachusetts. I then returned to Turkey and studied Translation and Interpretation for the French Language at the University Hacettepe in Ankara. Following my graduation, I moved to Wuppertal, Germany and started a Master’s program for English Literature, which I immensely enjoyed but never finished. Instead I tried and failed to build a life in Paris, France, rallied in the streets, worked with refugees and ended up working in Düsseldorf in media monitoring with emphasis on the energy sector and environment, which is of great interest fo